Cougars Roar to Victory against Somersworth to Win State Baseball Title

June 20, 2014

by Phillip Nichols A late sixth inning rally by the Campbell Cougars leads to a Division III title over the Somersworth Hilltoppers, 3-2, at Delta Dental Stadium in Manchester on June 14.

Persistence, discipline and focus are what got them to the championship round, but “family” brought them to victory.

Throughout the season, the Campbell Cougars baseball team showed they had heart.  They battled and worked hard all season long.  This hard work earned them the number-one rank in the state this year.

Entering the playoffs with a 14-2 record, the Cougars had a first round bye.  In the following rounds, they demonstrated the extra rest was good by crushing Bishop Brady 12-2 (round 2), winning a close one against Inter-Lakes, 10-9, and devouring Berlin 10-0 at Southern NH University in the semi-finals.

Number-two Somersworth, with a similar record, took a similar path.  The two teams split games during the regular season.  This would be the rubber match between the two, with a lot riding on the outcome.

To the winner go the spoils.

Ryan Glendye was on the mound for Campbell and played with a great deal of emotion.  Glendye, who finished the season with a 5-0 record, gave up just four hits and one earned run, while striking out five Somersworth players.

Coach Jim Gorham complimented Ryan on his play:  “From time to time you can see he’s a very, very emotional kid who’s tough on the mound like guys from the 1950s and ‘60s.  Ryan’s all emotion.”

The Cougars’ scoring and hitting was timely as well.  With the score tied 2-2 going into the 6th inning, Coach Gorham told his team it was time to prove they deserved to be champions.  And they responded.

Senior Christian Bourgea stepped to the plate with one out and hit a triple off of Somersworth’s Michael Pauquette, which ignited a rally by the Cougars.  Fellow Cougar Bob Baril who hit a fly ball that dropped just over the shortstop’s head.  This single scored Bourgea from third, snapping a 2-2 tie and eventually giving the Campbell Cougars the win.